Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 2

This week I did some research on the partnerships between animal shelters and pet food companies. I found out that animal shelters working with pet food companies can have some big rewards. Such as when Southern California shelters partnered up with Iams they were able to find 1.3 million pets a new home in a matter of months.

If an animal shelter were to partner up with Hill’s Science Diet, they would have access to buying dog food at a reduced price. When I did my search I used keyword searches with the AND command. I used both Google and Leatherby Libraries to find different sources for my research. With Leatherby Libraries I searched “ Animal services and food partners” to help me find the article partnering Iams and southern California animal shelters. On Google it was more of a blind search, I started with the Seattle Humane Society because I was hoping to find a local example of a partnership, which I found on their website, and it took me to the Hill’s Science Diet page where I was given all of the information needed about how the partnership works.

I would like to further explore the topic by going to some of my local animal shelter and asking them if they partner with a pet food company and how it effects them both. This way I could get more real life stories that can give me some more insight in deciding if when I open an animal shelter that it would be a good decision to partner with a pet food company. If possible it would also be beneficial to contact different pet food companies to see what their policy is on partnering with animal shelters. Overall this information, along with future research will help me decide if partnering with a pet food company will be a good choice for my animal shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment